By 1900 in Marble there was a need for a church building when St. John's Episcopal Chapel, built in Aspen in 1886, became available. With $2500 donated by the Episcopal Women's Guild, two lots were purchased from William W. Woods. After negotiations by Horace Williams, the chapel was dismantled and moved to Marble on a railroad car along with the organ and reassembled on its present site. At that time the two side rooms were added and it was renamed St. Paul's Church. The bell tower and its 500 pound bell were added in 1911. The bell was donated by Mrs. Proctor, of Proctor and Gamble. Brothers John and Ambrose Williams served as superintendents for many years.
St. Paul's Church provided a sanctuary for many congregations (Episcopal, Catholic, and Union Congregational) as well as a meeting place for other groups. It was the center of religious and social activities until late 1941 when the imminence of World War II caused the closing of the Marble Company and the demise of the town. The building was left in the care of the Williams brothers and was not used for many years.
In the early 1950s teenagers from the Vandenbosch and Loudermilk families received permission from the Williams brothers to clean the church and use it for prayer meetings and hymn singing services. Interest in these services grew, and by 1950 a congregation had formed and adopted the name Marble Community Church. During the summers of 1960 and 1961 Rev. Dr. George Drake served the congregation. He went on to become president of Grinnell College.
Unfortunately a misunderstanding led the Episcopal Diocese to disallow the congregation's use of the building. For the next twelve summers the group held worship services in the old high school building. During this period architectural drawings were created in the event another church was needed. Today the drawings reside in the Marble Museum. Also, the practice of inviting guest ministers from many denominations to conduct Sunday services was initiated and proved to be very successful. In 1974 the congregation was again allowed to use the church in exchange for maintenance assistance. In 1980 the recently retired Rev. Dr. Frederick Udlock moved to the area and served the church on a year round basis.
In 1983 the Marble Community Church became incorporated under the laws of Colorado, and had a roll of forty regular or associate members. After much negotiation, on July 7, 1985 the Rev. Cyril Coverly of the Episcopal diocese presented the deed to the building and land to the officers and members of the Marble Community Church. In 1987 Dr. Udlock retired as pastor and the Rev. Doris Brumbaugh was called to serve the church. Unfortunately, various circumstances caused the membership to decline and in 1991 financial conditions forced the congregation to return to its summer guest minister program.
Rev. Linda Arocha Boylan became a part time pastor in 1997, and with growth in the valley and an increase in membership, services were once again held every Sunday. During this time period the desire for stained glass windows and a pulpit were identified. John M. Williams, in memory of his grandfather's lamp shades depicting Crystal Valley scenes, dreamed of a church that could capture such. As a result, from 1998-2001, Shannon Muse and her studio, Paradise Glass in Carbondale, brought into the church the majesty of the mountains through the design of the stained glass windows. David Baker, a gifted craftsman designed and built the pulpit.
From 2002-2004, the church undertook the huge task of renovating the original church and building a fellowship hall. With a grant from the Colorado Historical Society, donations from the community and volunteer labor, the project was completed ahead of schedule. A breezeway to connect the two buildings was donated by the Lucht and Van Schaack families in memory of Matthew James Lucht (1988-2003) and completed in 2004.
In 2006 with the hiring of a full time pastor, Rev. Lafe Murray, a parsonage was needed and realized by a donation from the estate of Charles W. Jones. In July 2008 the Marble Community Church celebrated its 100th Anniversary, as well as the dedication of a marble angel sculpture by artist Connie Hendrix. In 2011, Rev. Jon R. Stovall, a retired Air Force chaplain, became pastor of the church.
The Marble Community Church stands as a beacon of light in God's magnificent setting in the Elk Mountain Range.